Dhokla is one of the famous dishes of Gujarat. Here we give Gujarat famous dish dhokla recipe. It seems common in the Indian state Gujarat. Gujju people seem to be fond of dhokla and Khaman Dhokla (a variation of dhokla).
Khaman Dhokla is highly appreciated as a dish in Gujarat and some other states also it is also known as an occasional dish. Because you can never attend any occasion where you won’t get Khaman Dhokla to eat. Khaman Dhokla is also one of the most popular breakfast in Surat.
Khaman Dhokla Recipe –
We are going to provide you the entire khaman dhokla recipe including its ingredients. You don’t need to prepare the batter in advance. The secret behind sponginess of dhokla is hidden in the article, read the article till the end and discover the hidden secret behind the softness of dhokla.
Also must not forget to share your comments and views.
Ingredients required for Khaman Dhokla Recipe –
- ½ tsp salt or according to taste
- 1 tsp of oil for greasing purposes
- ¼ cup of curd
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 tsp of crushed ginger and green chili
- 1sp of Eno fruit salt
- 1 tsp of the juice of a lemon
- 1 tbsp of Semolina (Sooji – Optional)
- 1 cup of Gram Flour (Chickpeas/Besan Flour)
Ingredients required for Tempering –
- 3 cup of water
- A pinch of Asafoetida aka Hing
- 2 tbsp of fresh coconut grated
- 2 tbsp of chopped/crushed Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of Sesame Seeds aka til
- Cut 4 green chilies into two halves according to lengthwise ( not horizontally )
- ½ tsp of Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp of Cumin Seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 10 to 15 Curry Leaves
Here are the directions to make Batter and Khaman Dhokla –
- Collect all the ingredients to make the batter for Khaman Dhokla. Pour 2 or 3 cups of water approximately at the bottom of the steamer. Let it get heated over the medium flake. You make sure to heat the steamer 4 or 5 minutes earlier before placing the plates filled with batter in the steamer. Use 1 teaspoon oil to grease the 2 small plates.
- Put salt (according to taste), ¾ cups of water, a paste of ginger and green chilies, lemon juice, semolina and gram flour in a bowl. Mix all ingredients properly into the soft smooth batter and also make sure the mixture must not contain the lumps.
- Now it is the time to add the fruit salt to the mixture you prepared for the batter. Now keep stirring it in the one direction only for approximately 1 minute. You will soon start noticing the enhance in size of it. It will start enhancing its size and will become double in size soon.
- Now pour the mixture of batter without any delay into the greased plates and fill the space up to ½ inch in thickness.
- Now you are required to place the plates filled with the mixture of batter in the steamer and wait for 10-12 minutes.
- Let the plates inside the steamer get heated for approximately 10-12 minutes over the medium flake.
- After 10-12 minutes, it is the time to check if it has become soften or it still needs more time to get heated properly. To check whether it needs time or it is ready – follow the simple step.
Insert a toothpick or a knife into the dhokla, bring it out and observe if it comes out clean or not. If it comes out clean then it is ready, otherwise, it needs 2 or 3 minutes more to get ready.
- Take out the plates placed in the steamer. Let them get cooled for a few After it gets little cool you can cut the fluffy, soft and smooth Khaman Dhokla into the small piece shape of a square with the help of a knife or any other sharp thing.
Here are the directions for Tempering –
- Take a pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil or you can use tempering pan for it. Add asafoetida and mustard seeds in the oil. When seeds start to crackle, add green chilies, curry leaves, sesame seeds, and cumin seeds, sauté them properly for a minute.
- Now it is the time to add some water about 1/3 cup and add sugar, bring it to boil. Cook it for one minute almost over the high flame.
- Your tempering is ready, now pour the tempering over the dhoklas. Toss or pour it gently until each and every dhokla starts looking coated well with the tempering.
- Any dish will look incomplete with garnishing.
So it is the last step you need to do is Garnishing your Khaman Dhokla. To Garnish your Khaman Dhokla, pour the grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves over it. And serve it with the green coriander chutney.
Recommended – Recipe of Vegetable Masala Khichdi
So, it was all about “How to make mouth-watering Khaman Dhokla, a traditional Gujarati dish ?” And if you find any query you can either directly write to us or get to us through comments. You each and every comment is valuable and priceless for us.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!