Gujarati Dish Methi Thepla Recipe: Today we have brought you one of the most favorite food of Gujrat that is Thepla. Thepla is a part of Gujarati Cuisine. Well, the people of Gujrat and especially the Jain people of Gujrat are fond of eating Thepla. We can say that it just takes a second to make their mouth start watering by just talking about Thepla in front of them.
Thepla’s are taken along with the meal in the breakfast, or can also be eaten as a snack with the tea in the evening. Well, Thepla can be eaten also along with curd yogurt (Dahi), sweet mango pickle (Chhundo), red garlic chutney.
For the people who have never heard about “Thepla” need to worry as they must have heard about “Parantha”. Yes, Thepla is similar as like parantha. It is the same dish.
Basically “Methi Thepla” can be made with spices, fenugreek leave (methi), gram flour (besan) and wheat flour.
Recommended – Top Indian Street Food Dishes
Theplas can also be found in variety. Varying the ingredients different types of Thepla can be easily made without such huge efforts. It usually found in the areas of Western India, and people of major cities in the Northern part of India including Delhi and Mumbai consider eating Thepla as a snack.
Variations of Thepla includes Dudhi Thepla, Mooli Thepla, and Methi Thepla and many more. For more variations, you may also add garlic, mixed vegetables, and potato. Well, one of the most desired Thepla is methi Thepla. Methi Thepla is also served as a traditional dish of Gujrat.
Methi Thepla is best known for eating it with hot beverages like “Adrak wali chai”. It tastes delicious. If you haven’t tried eating Thepla with some kind of hot beverage then you must try it eating with any hot beverage. You will like it for sure.
Otherwise, you are not a chai lover then you have so many alternatives to eat Thepla with like you may have Thepla with curd, pickle, yogurt or anything else. It usually takes 30 minutes to get cooked. It takes 15 minutes to prepare the dough and then after it takes 15 minutes to cook Thepla.
One of the questions which are usually asked that how to make soft Thepla. Well, I would say the secret behind the softness in the Thepla is adding curd in the dough.
Methi Thepla Recipe Step by Step –
While making a dough for Thepla, add the right amount of curd in the dough in order to make the soft Thepla. Also on the other hand if you want your Thepla to crunchy you can add besan to the dough. Otherwise, besan can be avoided as it is not mandatory to add.
Ingredients to Make Methi Thepla –
- 1 teaspoon of Salt.
- 2 teaspoon powder of Red Chilli.
- ½ teaspoon powder of Turmeric.
- ½ teaspoon seeds of Carom.
- ½ teaspoon seeds of Cumin.
- ¼ teaspoon of Hing.
- ½ teaspoon paste of Chilli.
- ½ teaspoon paste of Ginger.
- ½ cup of Curd.
- 1 cup leaves of chopped Fenugreek that is main ingredient “Methi”.
- ½ cup flour of chickpea.
- 2 cups flour of whole wheat.
Here is Methi Thepla Recipe Step by Step –
- Put all the gathered ingredients in a bowl and mix it well with the help of your fingertips. Make sure to cut your nails before mixing the gathered ingredients in order to keep bacteria away.
- Now add some little amount of water and knead it properly to make it a soft dough.
- Cover the dough and put it aside for around 15-20 minutes. Now put one tablespoon of oil in the container and again knead the dough for around one or two minutes.
- After kneading it again you need to divide the dough into the equal proportion of balls.
- Pick a one piece of the ball and roll it to a circle of 6 to 7 inch.
- After rolling it well I the shape of circle put the Thepla on the heated griddle. And let it get cooked well from both When it starts looking brownish in color, it means it needs little oil over it.
- Now when brown spots start appearing on the Thepla, apply 1 teaspoon of oil on both of its sides and cook the Thepla until the spots get darken in color. Finally, when you observe the spots darken in color, your the plan is ready to get served. And also keep pressing Thepla with the help of a flat spoon or something flat in order to make it a proper perfect Thepla.
- Serve the hot Thepla with either curd or pickle.
Some Important Tips for Thepla Recipe –
Here is a small tip for those who want to make Thepla for carrying in a journey. If you are cooking Theplas to eat later or store for some time, avoid adding the besan while making the dough for Thepla. It means never add besan to the dough when you want to keep Thepla for a little long time. Because if you would not add besan to the dough it will help your Thepla to stay soft for the little long time. Otherwise, you may have to eat strong Thepla. But if you don’t want to keep for long then must add besan as it enhances the taste of Thepla as well as the crunchiness of Thepla. Thepla is one of my favorite Gujarati Breakfast. Gujarat has some also popular dish like Undhiyu, Khaman Dhokla, Pav Bhaji, Vegetable Masala Khichdi and many others. if you want to read a recipe of these all dishes than click on dishes name.
So, it was all about the Gujrati Cuisine Methi Thepla Recipe. Many Gujarati dishes and many more dishes you can find on our website. If you want us to upload any particular recipe, you can tell us directly either you can write in the comment section or you can approach us by visiting the contact section. And also must not forget to share our article with your near and dear ones and also must not forget to share your views with us. For more recipes visit the homepage.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!