Khichri or Masala Khichdi is an Indian subcontinent dish that highly appreciated for its health benefits. It is made from lentils i.e dal and rice. There is a variety of khichdi we can get which include Bajra khichdi, moong dal khichdi, vegetable masala khichdi, dal khichdi and many more.
It is considered one of the lightest food. And also recommended by most of the doctors to the patients to have Khichdi whenever they fall ill. Khichadi is most popular Gujarati Dish.
Also, it is served to the infant means newborn babies. Because infants don’t have that strong digestive system in the initial stage of its life, so Khichdi works as good food.
And whenever Hindus keep fast and are asked to avoid eating grains, then also Sabudana Khichdi plays a vital role. As according to Hindus cultures during the fasts people are prohibited from eating grains but they can have Sabudana Khichdi. Khichri is a salty porridge which is famous for its health benefits to humans.
Khichdi was introduced by getting inspired from a dish name Kedgereean Anglo Indian Dish. The Anglo Indian dish kedgeree.
Let us read about the health benefits of Khichdi –
1. Reduce Sugar Levels: Many studies have shown that a mixture of fiber and carbohydrates in the millet khichdi, helps te diabetics reducing the blood sugar levels.
2. Easy to digest: Well, Khichdi helps to soothe your intestines and stomach whenever you fall sick. Because it is easy to digest, it is considered as the perfect meal.
And there are many more. Let us know about How to Make Khichdi?
Here’ s the Recipe of Vegetable Masala Khichdi –
The easy to get digested dish is delicious and simple to make. Spices are considered are optional, because some people are prohibited from having spicy food.
Ingredients that are required for Masala Khichdi are as follows:
1. Salt as per your taste
2. Coriander leaves chopped for garnishing (optional)
3. 1 pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
4. ¼ teaspoon of red chili powder ( known as Lal Mirch powder)
5. ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder (known as Haldi)
6. 1 to 1.25 cups of chopped veggies
7. 1 or 2 chopped green chilies (known as Hari Mirch)
8. 1 tomato chopped small to medium in size
9. 1 tsp of paste of garlic ginger (Lehsun-Adrak)
10. 1 medium onion chopped
11. 2 green cardamoms (Choti Elaichi)
12. 2 cloves
13. ½ inch of cinnamon (Dalchini)
14. 1 Tej Patta (Indian bay leaf small to medium in size)
15. ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds (Jeera)
16. 1 tablespoon of ghee/oil
17. ⅓ cup of moong dal (Mung Lentils)
18. ⅓ cup of broken rice/regular rice
Here the procedure of MASALA KHICHDI –
- Put moong dal and rice in a container. Rise the mixture with the water properly a few times until the mixture starts looking clean. Keep it aside to let it get drained.
- Not it is the time to chop all the vegetables you want to put in your MASALA KHICHDI.
And keep the chopped veggies aside for sometime.
- Now put a 1 tablespoon of oil or ghee in a pressure cooker and also put the following spices and garam masala in the oil.
- 1 Tej Patta (small to medium in size), 2 cloves, ½ inch of cinnamon, a ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds and 2 green cardamoms.
- Saute it till the spices look fragrant and crackled.
- Now put the ⅓ cup of chopped onions in it and again saute it till their color turned to translucent.
- Add, 1 teaspoon of garlic ginger paste to it and saute it till you don’t find the raw aroma of garlic ginger went away.
- Add ⅓ to ¼ cup of chopped tomatoes and 1 or 2 green chopped chilies (according to your taste). Saute it for one or two minutes.
- Add 1 to 1.25 cups of chopped vegetables along with the ¼ teaspoon of red chili powder (according to your taste), a pinch asafoetida, ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- If you want your Masala Khichdi to be spicier you can add more red chili powder to it, otherwise, ¼ is enough. And keep saute it for a minute.
- Now mix the combination of moong and Dal with the ingredients.
- Add 2 cups of water. 2 cups of water in Masala Khichdi gives a look of khichdi, and it won’t look like porridge. Also, it would not make you Masala Khichdi look like a dry pulao.
- For more consistency, you can enhance the amount of water in your Masala Khichdi to 2.5 to 3 cups of water.
- Put on some salt in it. Let the whole mixture gets heated and waits for the pressure cooker to whistle at least 7 to 8 times.
When you see pressure falling down on its own, you can remove the lid. You Masala Khichdi is ready to be served with a tsp of ghee, only if you prefer, otherwise, it is not necessary.
You also garnish your Masala Khichdi by purring the chopped leaves of coriander over your Khichdi.
Recommended – Popular and Healthy Gujarati Snacks
Only if you think it would enhance the garnishing and the taste of your Masala Khichdi.
And don’t forget to visit the homepage of our site to get to know about more recipes. And keep visiting us and write to us if you find any query, we would feel happy in case we are able to help you.